In the ever-changing landscape of business, where startups can skyrocket or vanish overnight, the journey from small business owner to industry veteran is nothing short of remarkable. What should you do when you’ve built a successful business over two, three, or four decades? Should you retire, or should you continue running the show until the end?
There are 2 elements that go into valuation: The first involves the 5 technical levers of valuation which can be built into your business, and they make up around 60%, the other 40% is all about how you strategically exit your business.
I outline the process in a couple of minutes in the video below, and have created a 5-part series on each of the layers of valuation that goes into more detail on each, you can find those here.
As a business owner, there are 6 different jobs that you should do at different stages of your career, to maximise your business’s potential and monetise your years of hard work and sacrifice with a rewarding exit. The key? You have to do things differently at each stage.
This is a cautionary tale about where to focus when times get tough. It’s a story of a business owner who had built a phenomenally successful business, and even had a £9.8M offer on the table 4 years ago! Now, this business has shrunk in clients, revenue, staff, and has virtually no value for a buyer today.